Town Tax Rolls
Jefferson County, New York
Tax Rolls, as maintained by the Town's Tax Collector, provide a unique insight into the land owners at a particular point in time. Unfortunately many of these have either been lost or destroyed over time, it is nearly impossible to see sequential changes in land ownership in any individual town. Our primary focus is on the period prior to 1860.
Because of the limited availability of tax rolls prior to 1860, we're uncertain how many we'll be able to add to the site. The initial installment provides coverage of two Towns: Pamelia-1823, and Champion-1838. The Town of Orleans - 1855 is currently being transcribed.
There are three methods to view the rolls:
- by Town for an individual year;
- surname across all Towns for all years; and,
- first letter of surname across all Towns for all years.
In all cases results are sorted alphabetically by surname and given name.
- Does NOT include Fort Drum 1941 expansion Tax Rolls
- There are no surnames beginning with the letters Q, U, X, or Z
- Acreage is shown in decimal format rather than fractions as originally used
- Transcriptions are literal and misspellings are not corrected
- Abbreviations have been fully expanded where possible