First Congregational Church
Town of Rodman, NY
Church Members Sorted Alphabetically
View All Church Members
Collection Source Document
The collection is a transcription of a book titled "Church Members of the Congregational Church of Rodman". While the information is sparse, it does provide a listing of individuals that were members of the Church from 1805 until shortly after 1880. The first page of the book reads "A list of names of members who have from time to time been received into the Congregational Church in Rodman, Jefferson Co. New York. It also includes the "signers of the first call for a church in the town of Harrison: now Rodman: 1850".
The Congregational Church of Rodman, was formed by Rev. Ebenezer Lazelle, of Watertown, Sept. 22, 1805. Occasional preaching only was had until the second Sabbath in Aug. 1808, when the Rev. David Spear, first preached, and was soon employed. In Sept. 1809, he was installed, has since, with two or three years' interval, continued the pastor until the present time. The first number was 9, total 521; present number (August. 1853), 210. In 1809, July 17th, the Harrison Society, belonging with this church, was formed, with Reuben Tremain, James Loomis, Asa Davis, Simeon Hunt, Jonathan Wyman and D. Eastman, trustees. The society was reorganized, April, 24, 1834, and in 1815 built a church 38 by 50 feet. In 1850 this was replaced by the present church, which was dedicated in March, 1851; it is 40 by 61 feet. From 1809 to 1821, was a period of religious interest, and in 1821-23, were great accessions. (Hough's History of Jefferson County in the State of New York)
For copies of individual pages in this document, contact the Jefferson County Historical Society - cite: Members of the Congregational Church in Rodman. As of 2011, the document was located in the "Rodman" archive box in the paper archive collection area.
Photo courtsey of the
Jefferson County Historical Society.