First Congregational Church
Town of Henderson, NY
Church Members Sorted Alphabetically
View Church Members
The first meeting was held July 17, 1810 in the dwelling house of Thomas Drury. Attendees were Willies and Sarah Fellows, Jonathan and Bathsheba Alexander, Oliver and Rebekah Bates, Samuel and Judith Parker, Thomas and Rebekah Drury, Zerviah Hawkins, Sarah Fletcher, Thankful Allen, Rachel Skinner and Rev. Azariah Clark Missionary Pastor of the Congregational Church in New Canaan. At that meeting it was agreed that the church would be named the First Congregational Church of Henderson.
While few records exist, it is believed that the meeting house was built prior to 1819 and clearly before 1821. It was occupied by the society until about 1835, and was then sold, after which meetings were held in the Whitney School House and School House Nr. 2 until about 1836. The last recorded meeting was held August 23, 1836 where it was proposed being admitted as a branch of the Church at Smithville, NY. In September of 1836, it appears that the Church in Smithville approved the request and the remaining members are believed to have joined with the Smithville Church. (Portions extracted from Evert's History of Jefferson County, NY)
Source: "Congregational Church (Henderson, NY) Church Register (1810-1836)". The original document and microfilm are in the archives of the PC(USA), Presbyterian Historical Society, Philadelphia, PA. Call Number MF Pos 1206 OCLC Number ocm51651304. Author: Congregational Church (Henderson, NY).
Sample page from the original source document.